Cultured Barùkas Cheese
Cultured Barùkas nut cheese! It’s indulging while at the same time your gut is getting a major benefit simply because Barùkas are one of the most nutrient dense nuts on the planet! The recipe calls for probiotics, and by adding this special ingredient the probiotics will start doing all the work so your digestive system doesn’t have to go into overdrive. Once the cheese is consumed, it rapidly gets absorbed in the digestive tract and assimilated in the body tissues, directly absorbing the amino acids, fatty acids, and glucose. It's a nutrient party and irresistibly yummy! Recipe from @delavidawellness
With only 6 ingredients, it’s easy to make and keeps well refrigerated for days
- 2 cups of Barùkas
- 1 TBSP of minced garlic
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 2 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1 Cup of water
- 3 probiotic capsules*
- Garnish (optional):
- 2 TBSP Fresh minced Dill
- Curry Powder, Turmeric powder, black pepper, and crushed Barùkas to taste.
- Remove the outer skin from the Barùkas, the skin comes off easily if you gently squeeze or twist the nut. You can keep the skin on, but for a creamier cheese is best with the skin off.
- Place Barùkas Nuts in a container and cover with filtered water. Soak for at least 4 hours. If you're in a hurry, soak in very hot water for 1 hour.
- Once soaked, drain the Barùkas Nuts and placed them in food processor or high speed blender. Add garlic, lemon, nutritional yeast, and sea salt. Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping the sides if necessary. Add the water slowly until you get a creamy consistency.
- Sample it and adjust taste as needed. Depending on your desired taste you can add more salt, lemon, garlic. I added more nutritional yeast for cheesiness.
- Once you have desired taste, place mixture in a bowl and add contents of probiotic capsules. Mix well to combine with a wooden or plastic spoon.
- Place a colander over a mixing bowl and lay down a couple of pieces of cheesecloth, you can also use an absorbent clean cloth.
- Scoop the mixture over the cloth. Gather the corners and carefully twist the top to make the cheese into a disc. Tie it up to secure it.
- Leave to set at room temperature If you are using regular probiotic capsules, it needs to sit at least 24-48hours. If your probiotics contain proteolytic enzymes then 8 hours is good. The longer it sits the tangier and firmer it gets.
- Once the cheese has cultured enough for taste, place in the fridge to set for at least 6 hours to firm and chill.
- To serve, unwrap from cloth and carefully turn upside down onto a serving platter. Reshape with hands or cloth if you need to. Top with herbs, seeds, or turmeric, spices or mix (optional).
- Cheese will hold its shape for a few hours hours out of the fridge, but it's best when chilled. It keeps well refrigerated for at least a week.
If your probiotics have pre-biotics it won’t work.
If your probiotics have proteolytic enzymes it will work faster, about 8 hours.